On Wednesday, Feb 3rd I had my weekly appointment with Dr. Hudson. He said that my cervix was very thinned out and since I was already 2 cm dilated he sent me down to labor and delivery for them to monitor my contractions. I had actually been feeling the contractions all week but they did not hurt or anything so I figured I was finally having braxton hicks contractions. But I guess they weren't. So I went down to labor and delivery and they hooked me up to the machines. I had a couple contractions when they first hooked me up but then did not have any more, so after about an hour and a half of no contractions they said it was okay for me to leave. I figured it was a false alarm like the last time.
I then headed to my friend Brandi's going away party. She got a job in Atlanta so a bunch of us met a Pablo's for a farewell to her. While I was at dinner I started having contractions again, but again they didnt hurt, just felt some pressure, so I figured it was nothing. I touched my belly a few times during dinner and Kristin was a little alarmed, but I thought nothing of it. ha.
After dinner I headed over to my in laws house because Kevin was over there having dinner, so I stopped by to say hi also. We were all sitting at the dinner table talking and I had a contraction that kind of hurt. This was a new feeling so I looked at my watch. We then moved the conversation to the den so I could sit on the sofa. I figured relaxing would make them stop. Nope. About 10 minutes I had another one that was a little stronger. I told Kevin we probably needed to leave. I wanted to go home and get in the bathtub to possibly make them stop. Well, they didnt stop and only continued to come every 10 minutes and were getting stronger. So after about an hour I called the hospital. They told us to come in so we quickly got ready, grabbed our bags, and headed to the hospital. On the way to the hospital my contractions started coming faster and faster. About every 3 minutes.
When we got to the hospital (about 10 pm) the nurse brought me to a triage room (one I had been in earlier) and was going to hook me up to the monitor again to see if I was having contractions when I had another one. She then decided to just check me before hooking me up. I was at 4 cm so she said I was in labor and would have him that night. Kevin then immediately called our parents who were waiting to hear from us and told them to go ahead and come in. And the nurse called the dr. who was on call for my group, Dr. Snowden, and another dr. who was on call for another group. They said two doctors have to be there for a c-section. The nurses then started prepping me, took blood, etc. While I was waiting at the hospital my contractions were really strong and were literally coming one right after the other with only a couple seconds in between. I was VERY ready for my drugs! They had to wait for my blood work to come in before they could give me the spinal block. Some how they messed up the blood work and had to do it again. I dont know how people do a natural birth because I was trying to stay relaxed while they re-did my blood work, but it was hard. Finally the results of my blood work came in, they did a quick ultrasound that showed he was still breech, and took me to surgery. The anesthesiologist gave me the spinal block and they laid me down on the table. Dr. Snowden and the anesthesiologists asked if I could still feel things (they would pinch me, etc) and I could. After about 12 minutes I could still feel pain and my contractions. The pain of my contractions was nothing like before, so it was working some, but just not enough to do the c-section. The anesthesiologist asked if I could move my legs and I could, so they had to move on to something else. They thought they were going to have to put me under general anesthesia, but ended up giving me some other drug that is not quite as strong as general anesthesia, but I was still totally out. Once I was out Dr. Snowden did the c-section and Brooks was born at 12:19 am.
After he was born they let Kevin see him and then patched me back up. They then wheeled me to my hospital room and I was starting to come back to normal. I was a little more alert, but still could not remember anything. I kept asking the nurse how much Brooks weighed. Kevin brought Brooks over for me to see him and it was the sweetest face I have ever laid eyes on. He was finally here! After about an hour and a half to two hours after Brooks was born I was totally coherent (or as much as I could be, I was still on pain meds and all). I then fed him and our parents got to come in and meet him! It was such an amazing night! We were so happy to meet our beautiful little boy!


No comments:
Post a Comment